A SEMI-STAGED REHEARSED READING.
Starring Stephen Fry, Mina Anwar, and James Norton
Based on the novel of the same name by David Nicholls, Henry Filloux-Bennet’s new play The Understudy plays two performances at the Palace Theatre from 7-8 December 2020.
Actor Stephen McQueen has just landed a dream West End role. Well, that’s not quite true – what he’s going to be is understudying film star (and 12th Sexiest Man in the World) Josh Harper in the brand new show Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know, but still…
Whilst he’s waiting for his time to shine, he reflects on his career – one that has spanned everything from (non-speaking) Rent Boy 3 in The Bill to his recent starring role as Sammy in the (low-budget) regional tour of Sammy The Squirrel’s Seriously Silly Safari.
With this new job Stephen’s stage career may be destined for the dizzying heights, but not everything is going quite as well. Stephen’s wife left him two years ago, wondering if he’d ever grow up; his daughter wonders when he’ll get an actual job; worst of all, he’s starting to fall for the leading man’s wife.
The Understudy is the story of an underdog – a failed husband, a failing father, a failing actor, and the impossible choice he’s going to have to make between stealing the show and stealing another man’s wife.
Mina Anwar, Natalie Casey, Sasha Frost, Stephen Fry, Marie Lawrence, James McNicholas, Lizzie Muncey, James Norton
- Seat Selection Info
Online check-in will be required for this event. You will receive an email 48 hours before your performance. Upon completion of check-in you will receive your e-tickets. All bookings must only be from the same household or support bubble.
113 Shaftesbury Ave, Soho, London W1D 5AY
Additional Details & FAQ
- Access Information
For access information please contact by email: email@example.com or phone on 0330 333 4815
- Cancellation Policy
1. If you test positive for COVID-19, display symptoms, are asked to isolate by NHS Test and Trace, or your local COVID-19 tier prevents you from attending, you can exchange your tickets.
2. If the show is cancelled due to COVID-19 or any other reason, you will be offered a free exchange or refund.
3. If the show is going ahead and you are able to attend, there will be no exchange or refund available.
- How Does It Work
Online Check-in will be required for this event
To assist with test and trace the venue are introducing an airline-style check-in.
- 48 hours before your performance you will receive a pre-visit email with a check-in link from Nimax Theatres
- You will be required to confirm that members of your party do not have Covid-19 symptoms - if you cannot confirm this you will be given details on how to exchange (this must be completed no later than 10am on the morning of your performance).
- Email address - this will be used to communicate pre-show procedures to you, assist with test and trace and provide e-tickets on completion of check-in.
- The venue will only accept E-ticket for admittance
- Nimax Theatres will provide you with a contactless e-tickets upon completion of “check-in”.
- Suitable For Children
Some sexual references and swearing
- Where Do I Go
Nearest underground station is Leicester Square (Northern and Piccadilly lines)
Bus Routes: 29, 24, 176